Monday, May 23, 2011

Purpose of this blog

The purpose of this blog is to (1) share what I consider to be interesting information, especially photos, stories, and copies of original documents, that cannot be easily shared in new.familysearch.org; (2) post requests for information from potential readers (and hopefully receive some answers!); and (3) post periodic updates on progress in identifying members in the family line (posts will likely be sparse since I only occasionally work on genealogy).  I believe very much in citing sources (how else will anyone be able to further the searches or verify my posts?).  I am focused primarily on the following genealogy line and its branches (I would especially like to know more about the branches going backward):

(1) Dennis Simonson (1793-1867), son of John Simonson and Elizabeth Stryker.
(2) Simon Van Arsdale Simonson (1830-1921), son of Dennis Simonson (1793-1867) and Ellen Nevius (1800-1877).
(3) Dennis Nevius Simonson (1855-1930), son of Simon Van Arsdale Simonson (1830-1921) and Anne Elizabeth Wortman (1832-1907).
(4) John Groome Simonson (1881-1946), son of Dennis Nevius Simonson (1855-1930) and Mary C. Groome (1857-1901).
(5) John Dennis Simonson (1923-1961), son of John Groome Simonson (1881-1946) and Gladys Johanna Nielsen (1891-1923).

Since this is a public blog, I do not plan to post personal information about anyone who is still living (except possibly by their consent).

Thanks for reading, and I hope you find something interesting!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Paul,

    Thanks for posting. I think that I had seen some of the WWII pictures before somewhere. It is great to see them online. Interesting that I found this post.

    George

    ReplyDelete
  2. George, I am glad you can see them. I think it is funny you found this site so quickly because I only started this blog a week ago! If you have anything you think I should add, just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul,
    I am curious how you are connected to the Raritan Simonsons. My grandparents were Simon VA Simonson and Bessie Gertrude (Henry) Simonson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,

    I am a grandson of John Dennis Simonson, so I would be a great-great-great grandson of Simon Van Arsdale Simonson and Anne Wortman (see above post).

    I would be happy to know any information you would be willing to share since our family knows almost nothing about any family history (stories, genealogy, etc.) past two or three generations back. If you see any corrections that need to be made, would you please let me know those as well?

    Thanks,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul--
    I am a first cousin of Susan and have many photos and a pretty complete genealogy of the Simonson family. My mother did lots of research (before the internet) and had the vast knowledge of two of my great aunts (Maud and Anna--daughters of Peter Wortman Simonson and Susan Dorris Simonson) They all have many proven ancestors through DAR papers which I have and lots of other research. WHen I have time I can scan some photos as well if you do not have photos. My line is (John E., S.V.A., Peter, S.V.A., Dennnis, John, Simon) In checking my records I assume your line then goes to Dennis Nevius Simonson, to John Groome Simonson and then your grandfather John Dennis Simonson. I don't think she followed your line after that. She states John G. served overseas in WWI and was engine inspector for the railroad doing railroad work in Mexico, too. He and Gladys Nelson Simonson had one son, John Dennis in 1923 and she died after the birth. He later married Lenora Saxey of Utah and they lived in Helper, Utah. Am I in the right line???

    I can help you with photos, etc. and some info about the Simonson land around Raritan as well. I, too, am stumped by the Ray Simonson, but I can make a few calls and see if anyone knows. Maybe died as an infant??? Whose stone was his beside? My father knew all of that info and he died a year and a half ago. He was a wealth of Simonson knowledge. Too bad we can't still tap into that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janice,
    Wow, photos, stories, and genealogies would be fantastic! And, I would also like to put them up on the blog so family can see them (especially the pictures and stories). If you want to email anything to me directly, my email address is:

    psimonso at illinois.edu

    I wrote "at" instead of "@" to avoid automatic spammers...

    You are indeed correct in the line. You also know more about John Groome Simonson than I do. I was able to email back and forth a little with his youngest daughter through his second marriage, but even she did not remember too much about him since he died when she was 16. She was going to send me a copy of a picture she had of him, but I have not heard from her since.

    ReplyDelete