Sunday, May 29, 2011

Raritan Reformed Church in Raritan, Illinois

I came across a website, http://www.illinoisancestors.org/henderson/bedfordchurches.htm, that mentioned Dennis Nevius Simonson as being the first child baptized in the Dutch Reformed Church in Raritan, Illinois.  His mother, Mrs. Simon Van Arsdale Simonson (Anne E. Wortman) was also one of the charter members of the church.  I did some more investigating, and I found via Google that there is today a Reformed Church in Raritan.  I decided to stop by and see what I could see.
When I first arrived, I saw a man across the street from the church, and he told me he thought it was indeed the same church.  He pointed out a plaque placed by the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the date (1855) matched what I was looking for.  He also said I should talk to one of the fellows in town who might be a distant relative (a Van Arsdale).  The next day I did, and he turned out to be one of the elders of the church, and he offered to take me on a tour of the church, which I gladly accepted.

Here are some photos from outside the church:


Plaque place by the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.


The elder and one of the deacons showed me around inside.  Here are some pictures from inside:
Sacrament plates and cups.  I asked the elder and deacon how old they were, but they could only tell me that they were VERY old.

View of the loft.




View in the loft.

This is an interesting engraving that sat above the handle for the lifting the shutter of the loft.  The elder did not know what it was.  Perhaps a biblical scene, like Jesus and the woman at the well?

View from the loft.

Stairs going down from the loft.

Old clock (the elder and deacon said they thought it had been there since around 1920).

They were also kind enough to give me two pamphlets celebrating the 145th and 150th anniversaries of their church.  They also had pamphlets dating back to 1905, but they did not have copies that they could give away.  In 1905, Mrs. S. V. A. Simonson (Anne Elizabeth Wortman [1832-1907]) was still alive.  I am assuming the picture of her that they included in the pamphlets was taken around 1905.  Here are some photos I snapped from pages in the pamphlets.  Note that several Simonsons and other relatives (Groomes, etc.) are listed in the early membership lists:
Charter members of the Raritan Reformed Church.

1937 photo showing a Mrs. Elmer (Edna) Simonson.

Pre-1925 photo.

Peter Nevius Blacksmith Shop.

Mrs. Simon Van Arsdale Simonson (Anne Elizabeth Wortman [1832-1907]).

Note Mrs. Anna Wortman Simonson, Garrett Simonson, Mrs. Martha Dunham Simonson,
Peter Groom, Mrs. Sarah E. Wilson Groom.

Note Mrs. Gertrude Simonson Cortelyou, R.B.D. Simonson, Mrs. Susie Dorris Simonson (wife of Peter Simonson), Mrs. Mary C. Groom Simonson (wife of Dennis Simonson).

Note Mrs. Emma W. Groom Stryker, Mrs. Gertrud E. Simonson Rankin, Adrianna Simonson, Mattie Louise Simonson.

Note Mrs. Adrianna Simonson Cortelyou, Mrs. Alice Simonson Worthington.

Note Mrs. Edna Barnnes Simonson.
Note Lillian Levetta Simonson, Mrs. Harold Simonson.
Poem by R. B. D. Simonson (apparently Robert Barkley Dunham Simonson [1848-])



4 comments:

  1. Paul, I am curious as to your connection to the Raritan Simonsons. Are you from the Kansas branch. I have pretty thorough geneology for the Raritan branch and believe some of your info is incorrect. Would be interested in the information you may have.

    Janice Simonson Bocke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice,

    Yes, I am a descendent of the Kansas Branch. Dennis Nevius Simonson moved to Kansas, then his son, John Groome Simonson, moved to Utah. John Groome Simonson is my great grandfather.

    Most of my information comes from census data or birth, marriage, or death certificates. I would be very grateful for any corrections or additional information you might have.

    Thanks,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a copy of the 150th Anniversary booklet of the Raritan Reformed Church and also a book celebrating the 150th anniversary (sesquicentennial) of Raritan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a copy of the Raritan Reformed Church's 150th, but not the sesquicentennial of Raritan. If you think there is something in it that would be interesting to share (or if you have a copy of the booklet), it would be welcome.

    ReplyDelete